Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Australian Rules Footbal



Olympic Park, NSW

Went to my first AFL game couple weeks ago. The Sydney Swans were hosting there other half, the Sydney Giants at ANZ stadium, right in Olympic Park. AFL is played on huge ovals with three vertical goals on each end. Could almost be a Quidditch pitch.

It’s a wonderful sport to watch in person. It’s hard to describe what its like compared to other sports. You have to dribble once every 3 yards while running, and if you kick as a pass at least 10-15 yards (not sure) the receiver gets a free pass/shot, called a Mark. And you kick it through the goals for points. I hope I haven’t butchered this description, for it is truly an amazing game. It is very fast paced and very physical. Some of the hits are just insane, and they’re not wearing any pads.

At the end of it all, the Swans demolished the Giants and I was quite impressed with the sport. I wouldn’t mind going to another match before I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment