Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Inter-Islander Ferry



Cook Strait, NZ

I caught the 8am ferry from Wellington to Picton. This is the only way to get between the North and South Islands without flying. The ferry ride is three hours door to door. There are ten decks in all, including three for cars and trucks, and the rest are for passengers. The 8am ferry meant I got to watch the sunrise over Wellington from the top deck (which is outside). I decided to stay on the top deck for the remainder of the trip. I only get to do it once, right?

The ride is absolutely spectacular. Sometimes you can see whales and dolphins (not today), but the scenery is stunning. It is extremely windy on the top deck while crossing the Cook Strait, but well worth it. As with all my travels, I met some people and we spoke the whole way.


The ferry drops you off in Picton, the Gateway to the South. That’s about all its got going for itself. From metropolis to small coastal mountain town in three hours. It is home to a merchant ship from the late 1400’s, the 9th oldest ship in the world, still in existence. Other than that, it’s time to start my journey of the South Island. 

1 comment: