Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Punakaiki & Franz Josef



Punakaiki, Pancake Rocks

The Pancake Rocks is a favorite stop for anybody travelling down the west coast through Punakaiki. It consists of some magical geological rock forms, which are layered like all you can eat pancakes. There are also some blowholes from the sea crashing into the rocks below. It only takes about 45 minutes to walk the little path from the highway to the ocean, and stare at the amazing coastal scenery, north and south, as far as the eye can see.

As I travel farther south, the mountain ranges get bigger and bigger, until they become the Southern Alps. Soon enough, I can see snow capped mountains, despite the weather being quite warm at the base.
The two main glaciers to stop and see on the west coast are Franz Joseph and Fox.  Both are protected as National Parks and have many maintained hiking trails, lasting anywhere between 1-10 hours.

I arrived at Franz Joseph just before sundown and was leaving early the next day. This meant I had to leave immediately to start my hike. As it turns out, it was raining (It rains something like 300+ days a year here). So I grabbed my umbrella and the front desk gave me a head torch, telling me not to get lost, (despite the glacier and snowy mountains, Franz Josef is considered a rain forest) It was a about an hour hike just to get to the start of the trails from the hostel in town. Luckily, it stopped raining after the first twenty minutes. It was almost dark by the time I started, mainly due to the low clouds perched over head. As soon as I entered the woods, it got real dark. Luckily I was given a head torch.


Completed the hour hike in about 40 minutes. The view I had once I reached the finish point was eerie cool. Even at night, in a valley surrounded by soaring mountains with a ceiling of clouds, it was something to see. My pictures could have been better if I had known how to adjust the exposure and other settings, but hey, I’m new to the whole camera thing.



Franz Josef Glacier



No comments:

Post a Comment