Thursday, March 15, 2012

Love Australia's Labor Laws

Newington, NSW


During my second day in country, I lucked out and found a job working in the kitchen at a cafe/restaurant called Fusion on Europe. Food was mediocre and the owners were crazy. I was offered $15 an hour, under the table. Fine by me, despite thinking I should get about around $20/hour, but some money is better than no money at all. Though minimum wage is $15.51, before tax (which I get back at the end of my trip), I would take home a little less. Personally, I wanted to be paid on the books, but he wouldn't have it. He also said I would not be paid for my first "training" shift, as we discussed wages on the 2nd night. I only worked for 4 days before I quit, due to the poor managing and sketchy feel. When I went to collect the cash that was owed to me, he was changing agreements and making things up. All I wanted was my $412.50 and I would never see them again.

After a wonderful call to Fair Work Australia, I was enlightened about all his faults about my employment. It turns out that there are different minimum wages for every job around, these are called awards. My award called for $20.22 an hour and higher wages on weekends. : ) So now after launching a formal investigation, they will be forced to pay me more, on top of getting heavy fines for wrongfully employing me. Something close to $500-$600 before tax and $1000 fines. Works for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment